- Unplug electronics and chargers as these devices use power even when they are off.
- Using CFL(Compact Fluorescent Lighting) is always a good option to save electricity as it uses only 2/3 rd of electricity than regular bulbs and tube lights.
- Putting off the fans and lights when you are not around can help cut down electricity bills to a large extent.
- Use electric and electronic items that have a high-efficiency rating.
- Seal all the air leaks to stop the wastage of heated air in winter and cooled air in summer. This way you can save energy and a lot on your electricity bill.
- AC with automatic temperature cut off are best to choose. Set the temperature at 25 degrees C as it doesn’t require more electricity and is quite a comfortable temperature. Place the AC unit in the shade as it consumes less energy. Don’t put TV or lamps near the AC thermostat as it senses heat and runs longer to cool the place.
- Lower the water heater’s temperature from 55 degrees C to 50 degrees C to save energy to a greater extent.
- Using solar water heaters instead of electrical ones is a better option to save energy.
- Washing clothes in top load washing machine with cold water is a good idea to save energy.
- Prefer natural drying of clothes instead of using a dryer. Always wash with full loads.
- Do not iron wet clothes as it consumes more electricity. Use iron with automatic temperature cutoff.
- In the kitchen boiling or cooking food in a pan with a lid on can save a lot of energy. If possible cook food in a pressure cooker. Always remember to turn off the regulator of the gas cylinder when not in use.
- If flames have turned red or yellow then check for any blockage in a burner, Flame should be blue.
- Keep the refrigerator a few inches away from the wall so that there is proper circulation of air. Always keep food covered in the refrigerator as uncovered food releases moisture and in turn, makes the compressor work harder.
- Avoid keeping hot and warm food inside the fridge rather wait for it to cool down to room temperature.
- Install an exhaust fan at a higher level than the ceiling fan.
- Choose a microwave oven over a conventional or electric oven as it consumes only 50% of energy.
- Turn off your computer or laptop when not in use as leaving them on stand-by mode is a waste of energy. Keeping the CPU on and turning off the monitor itself can save 40% of energy. Set your electronic devices to sleep mode when they are not in use.
This way you can conserve a lot of energy and do your bit for the progress of our country as its growth depends on the success of industries and industries need energy. So now you know how to save energy, let’s start conserving energy for our nation’s growth.
Make this one of your New Year’s resolutions!!